Cooking rules are always based on a recipe, but translating those steps into an experience that goes beyond the functional act of eating requires chefs to truly believe that only the sky is the limit.
Because the job of chefs, like ‘job of any artist is always to deepen the mystery.” – Francis Bacon
Here are my essential rules for cooking (and living like a rockstar), because what happens in the kitchen is usually a reflection of what happens in life.
- Recipe books are useful as a guide, but in the kitchen, always trust your instincts
2. (Im)perfection on the plate demands multiple messy experiments in the kitchen
3. The most tedious kitchen tasks are fundamental for success on the plate
4. The best dishes are often happened upon by accident, chance and serendipity
5. Inspiration comes from experience so cook everything and anything at least once
6. Cook happy because good vibes and plenty of lovin’ are your mise en place
7. Every other chef is taken so carry your own knife and stay authentic
8. Kitchen battle scars are worth it if you make them sigh with pleasure at the table
9. Tricks and gadgets in the kitchen will only cover up bad apples for so long
10. If it’s just not your day, get out of the kitchen and order takeaway
11. Food always tastes better when shared so pull up a seat and join the feast
I am proud to be leading world’s largest community of home cooks and private chefs creating immersive food experiences on VizEat & EatWith, and if you follow even just one of the above rules, you might have what it takes to become a host.
And if you need any more inspiration (in or out of the kitchen), you’ll find more advice on making life more delicious in my cookbook.
Because food is not what you cook, but what you make others taste.